Thursday, September 11, 2008

Adaptation- Part 2

I've decided to brave it out and write my first blog using a French keyboard. I've been using my own computer so far, but you have to live on the wild side sometimes, no?
French keyboards are CRAZY. The QWERTY row does not exist; instead, it's the AZERTY row. And the M, Q, W are also in places they shouldn't be. AND, get this: you have to press Shift everytime you want to write a number! Isn't that crazy?
Anyway, don't think that I've spent all my time here analyzing keyboards. I'm on my way to the last day of the first week of classes. I get a certain deja vu when I'm in the university, because it was built around the same time as UVic, so the building where I'm in is really similar to, say, Clearihue (for all those Uvic alumni reading this) I'm half expecting to run into someone I know... But I don't :(
The classes I'm in are pretty cool, the teachers are very nice, and I was very happy to be classifed at an advanced level ( 4 out of 6). So far I haven't really bonded with anyone in my own classes. There's no specific reason for it, I just haven't had a really good conversation with anyone, the kind that makes you want to get to know someone better. My classes are composed mainly by Asian students, followed by Eastern Europeans, Africans, and lastly one or two North and South Americans. I wish I had the chance to interact with more young French people, but they're not that readily available to socialize with in my part of the University.
As for what I've been doing for fun, I know I'll disappoint many, but it's been reallt mellow. I went to the movies for the first time, and was happy to learn that I could understand over 70% of the dialogue. I tried to look for a flim that would be in original English with subtitles, and not dubbed, but alas, no luck. On Saturday though, I had a really nice vening out. I was able to reunite with one of my Colombian school friends, whom I hadn't seen in 5 years, since I went to COlombia last. She now lives in Paris, but was in town visiting people (she also went to the university of Nantes). She introduced me to a lovely French couple, and one other OClombian guy, who isn't in town any longer. We went for a delicious French dinner, escargots included, and then we went bowling. Could you believe that Bowling alleys here are open until 4 AM??? And it was JAM packed at 1AM; people drinkign beer and bowling- all 35 lanes were busy, we even had to wait half an hour for one to open!
Sunday, I went on a 3 hour hike around the area, on a path next to the Erdre river, and saw some magnificent châteaux. People actually live in them, but they also rent them out for pqrties, weddings, etc. It was then when I decided I'll be getting married in france, in a Château, with a fancy dress. Whether you all choose to come or not, is your problem, but I have two words for you: OPEN BAR. Hahah
Well, there's nothing else really exciting. There are some good leads with language schools to teach ESl, but until my work permit is given to me in 3 weeks, I can't do too much. I'm already scoping flights to England for Xmas break, finding some wicked deals: 2 way between Paris and London for 70€.
Thanks for tuning in, keep on reading :)

No comments: