Monday, September 29, 2008

Paris, Paris, and... PARIS!

Well, after 5 weeks of keeping it local, I went to have the weekend to end all weekends. As some of you know, one of my elementary school friends from Colombia, whom we've kept in touch with, lives in Paris. Having someone in one of the most expensive cities in Western Europe (and the world, for that matter) is something one doesn't pass up.
So 60 Euros, and a TGV ride later, I arrived at the Gare Montparnasse, exactly, to the date, one month after I had left it to come to Nantes. This little coincidence gave me a lot of to think and reflect upon about how my feelings have changed a month after. I was literally gripped with anxiety and fear the last time I was riding that train, thinking of everything that could go wrong, and wondering exactly what I had gotten myself into, being all alone in a foreign country. But hey, if you've been reading my blog, this ain't exactly torture, you know? At least I'm not like Bart Simpson, who got made a winery slave.. hahah, that's for all of you Simpsons fans.
So anyway, I arrived to Paris on beautiful sunny Friday afternoon. I caught a bus that left me 3 blocks away from Diana's house, and had to make a conscious effort to keep my mouth closed as we drove through Paris. The city is freaking GORGEOUS. All its labels of being the city of love, and whatnot are deserved beyond doubt. What I saw that day when I first arrived from Canada was an infinitesimal part of this amazing place. The architecture is mind bogglingly detailed; you could spend a day alone looking at just one building and noticing all the little adornments on the columns, window frames, etc.
After successfully surviving my bus ride without getting lost, I met up with another of Diana's friends that was also staying at her apartment (which by the way, is the most charming little studio, in the loveliest neighbourhood). We took off to meet her, and to sightsee like a real tourist. I was the only newbie to the city, since Daniel had been there numerous times. And, I must give them both kudos, because they were fantastically patient with my touristy whims, and took all the pictures I asked them to!
First up, was the Arc de Triomph. It sits majestically on a small hill, overlooking the Champs Elysees. Napoleon built it as a sign of his military supremacy, and to honour all the soldiers that fought in his battles. It is certainly an imposing structure, and it accomplishes its mission. At the bottom of it, there is a torch that has been alight since WW1 that commemorates all the French soldiers that have fought and perished in the wars.
After the Arc, we strolled leisurely down the champs Elysees, which is really just a very crowded street with TONS of stores and restaurants. It's beautiful, but a bit of a sensory overload, with the sea of people, advertisements, and cars. We went into Sephora, hoping to score some free sprays of perfume, and I ended up being kidnapped by a very flamboyant man from L'Oreal, who sat me down on a chair, and let one of his French makeup girls re-do my whole face. I looked great, if I say so myself... And, it was free, so double bonus.
Speaking of free, at 6pm, we took the metro to the Louvre, where every Friday people under 26 can go in for free after six. Diana and Daniel had been already, so they waited for me while I attacked a very small part of it. The facade of the museum is one of the most incredible ones I have ever seen. It spans for blocks and blocks, curving around the streets, filled with sculptures of all the kings of France. And in the middle, the incongruously modern, but still beautiful glass pyramids, with their fountains. The museum is so big, even if one went for a whole day, you couldn't see everything in it, and one couldn't appreciate the beauty and the magnificence of all that lies inside. I went in heading for the Italian, Greek, French and Spanish wing, knowing that I would encounter the Louvre's most famous inhabitant- la Gioconda- in it. Along the way, I was able to see the Venus de Milo, paintings from Boticelli, Veronese, and Ribera. I was in awe of being in front of these renowned pieces of art , that had so much history behind them! The Mona Lisa was also beautiful. It's almost surreal being in front of her, like you don't quite believe this is the true Mona Lisa. There were mondo people there, but I managed to get a good long look at her, and she's extraordinary.
After leaving the museum, a sunset visit to the Jardins de Tulleries was in place. Then, off to party! We went to a salsa club in a hip neighbourhood in Paris, not before getting pre-drunk at the apartment, and danced our happy colombian feet until 3:00.
Next day, we battled the hangover with a couple litres of water, 4 aspirin, and big dark sunglasses, andwe tackled Montmarte with its surrounding the artists' neighbourhood. For any of you Amelie fans out there, Montmarte is a featured in the film, and it was beautiful. The cathedral is more reminiscing of a Taj Mahal than a Catholic landmark, but it was nice to see a variety of architecture. It's also a chic gathering spot for the young, beautiful, and moneyless- a variety known as "students". The sun was out, and people were sitting on the steps that lead to the church, listening to the performers play their music. The view from the top is beautiful, you can see all of Paris spanning in front. We joined the crowd for a while, enjoying a Mexican guitar player that was charming the pants off the audience with his Spanish songs. The actual cathedral is quite beautiful too, but there weren't any pics allowed, so I can't share, sorry :(
The walk through what used to be Bohemian Paris was lovely. There were artists offering to draw portraits, little cafes where Monet, Cezanne, Picasso and others used to meet, quaint houses, and even a couple mimes. Then, we visited the Moulin Rouge, went to the Luxembourg gardens, and finally finished with a big dinner at a typical French restaurant.
Sunday was also filled with touristy things, starting with the Place de Concorde (and before that, we visited Starbucks to get a caffeine pick-me-up. The prices are the same... you know, i paid 3.10 for a latte, like I would in Canada. That would be 3.10 euros... blind robbery). In the middle, there is a huge obelisk which ends in a golden point, a gift from the Egyptians. The petit and grand Palais are nearby, so we visited those, admiring once again, the grandiose architecture. Crossing the Pont Alexandre III, and the Seine, we looked at the Invalides, and then went to buy some food for our Parisian picnic. We bought a baguette, ham, some cheese, tomatoes, etc, and headed to the Champs de Mars, right next to the Eiffel tower. We ate, and laid on the grass next to all the other Parisians who were enjoying the gorgeous weather. After our petit nap, we went to mass at Notre Dame, and words fail me to describe the grandeur of it. Just look at my pics, I'm still winded from the majestic vaulted ceilings, and the spectacular stained glass windows... and I even got a peek at the hunchback! He was sitting a couple rows ahead of me during the service.. hahah, oh, I'm goign to hell for saying that, I know it.
Well, I won't bore you anymore with the guide of the city. But I just had to share all the awe and happiness I felt this weekend, being in such a celebrated city, and with a good friend I hadn't spent time with in ages.
Will keep you posted on more news at the homefront soon.. can't fit it all into one blog!
Bisous!

1 comment:

mema said...

Envidia de la buena, de la mala, me muero de envidia! cuanto no daria por estar alla contigo! que rico negrita, jamas podras olvidar este viaje! me alegra tanto!
Besos!