Sunday, November 23, 2008

I guess I should update this...

Well, I've been putting it off long enough-updating my blog. I think I've hit a bit of a "traveller's wall" if there is such a thing. This week has been somewhat up in the air for me in terms of exciting activities ; it's felt a little like I'm just sitting around for exciting things to happen. Now that I've spent a whole month in Nice, and 3 in France, the glazed-eye look where I see everythign with wonder is starting to fade a little, and for the first time since I left, I'm feeling the toll of being away from home.
One of my best friends back at home is getting married, and talking about all the planning and whatnot via Facebook just makes me wish I wasn't so far away to miss all the details. As well, I keep having all these dreams where I'm back in my grade 3 classroom teaching my little darlings. And, inevitably, with Christmas lurking in the horizon (in a MONTH, can you believe it??!?!!) I'm feeling the pang of missing my loved ones. So I guess coming here to update my blog would be a little like looking at myself in the mirror and finally admitting that inspite of being in love with my life here, and the opportunities and experiences it has afforded me, I can't help but truly miss my life if Canada!
I would like to think that I have always recognized how rich my life is at home, and how blessed and lucky I am to have my education, my job, my family, my friends, etc. But after just 3 months away, I can really really feel the pride and the love that I have for the people and the accomplishments in my life.
Ah, it feels good to get that off my chest! Don't you all feel warm and fuzzy now that you know that I miss you tons inspite of all my fabulous perks here in France? ;)

Anyway, on to more exciting topics. Like I mentioned, this week has been somewhat lacking in exciting activities. I guess what stands out the most is that I have purchased my ticket to the UK. I have my friend Amanda living in Newcastle, who I will spend New Year's with (we're going to an 80's party!!! Aren't you just itching to see the pics of all the awesome costumes already??) and I have some Uvic friends living around London, whom I want to visit as well. I'm very excited, but I have to admit that living my balmy 18 degree city to -2 and snow is not all that appealing... I don't even have gloves!! I guess I'll just have to spend my time inside English pubs to run away from the cold... oh the sacrifices I make!
Let's see what else... last Saturday I went out with Cecile's sister, whom I had mentioned in my last post. She is a lovely, lovely girl , we had a lot of fun, and it was so nice to have a girl-friend to talk with and drink wine with! I'm seeing her again this week :)
As for work, it continues to be wonderful. Lisa, who is turning 3 in 2 weeks is very excited about her upcoming birthday party. Since I'm trying to be a mixture of Mary Poppins and SuperNanny, I have brainstormed with Cecile to make some cool party projects. For example, Lisa and I will be making her very own piñata with papier maché... impressive, no? Also, I have volunteered to make a Princess cake with the top of a Barbie doll, and her skirt being the cake. I will take pics so that you see how very Betty-Crockerish I have become. It's quite impressive, actually. About twice a week I bake for the family while the kids sleep, and so far I've made oatmeal and blueberry muffins, chocolate chip cookies, feta and spinach scones, regular scones, cinnammon rolls, zucchini bread... and they love it. I don't eat any of it, because I'd rather splurge on French food, but if it keeps them happy, then it's all good!
This upcoming weekend I have my American friend Dan coming to visit, hopefully I'll make a good tour guide, since we're goign to try to go to Aix-en-Provence and Monaco.
Well, it sounds like I've done my bit here. I thought I would leave you with a little list of the things that I miss the most from Canada.. so that you can send them to me on the mail, for Christmas!
1) Nonfat vanilla yoghurt in big 750ml tubs.
2) The gym :(
3) Supermarkets that are open on Sundays
4) The ban on smoking on restaurant patios
5) Canadian Diet Coke... it tastes different that French Diet Coke. Don't ask me to explain it, it's like asking me to be rational!
6) Cheap shoes. You can't find a pair for under 100 euros here.
7) Banks who update your online account status immediately... as opposed to 3 days later.
8) Dog owners who don't leave their dog's poop on the sidewalk
9) My L'Oreal facewash that costs 7 dollars at home, and 17 euros (approx 30 dollars) here
10) Organic Peanut butter for my morning toast
11) SUSHI!!!!! All you can eat for 13 dollars at Davie St, or that other place in North Van that's ridiculously good. I actually salivate everytime I think about it.
12) Cheap makeup. For some reason Covergirl hasn't made its mark in France. As a result, I'm economizing on eyeshadow, mascara, bronzer and blush... I don't know how much longer I can go on....

So that's my Christmas list folks... you know what to get me now!!

1 comment:

mema said...

hOLA mi Negrita Francesa,

Estas melancolica? puede ser Christmas? puede ser falta de Mema, puede ser falta de amigos, o solo "un amigo", de todos modos adelatne mi negra, ya vas casi en la mitad del camino y la experiencia no ha podido ser mejor.
Te pienso diariamente como 24 veces cada hora, te mando todo mi amor y ya nos veremos.... pronto.
Besos...grandes besos Mema francesa